Microplastics Webinar: On Friday, February 21, 2020, from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm, the California Ocean Protection Council is sponsoring a webinar on results from a three-year study monitoring microplastics in “…San Francisco Bay and adjacent national Marine sanctuaries, as well as the contaminant pathways of wastewater effluent and urban stormwater…”
Link below is to additional description of the webinar, registration and the draft agenda. On the draft agenda are presentations on the following topics: field sampling methods, QA/QC, processing samples in laboratory and reporting results.
California Microplastics Law. Senate Bill 1422 was signed into law in 2018 (adding section 116376 to California’s Health and Safety Code). The law requires the following activities from DDW:
- On or before July 1, 2020: adopt a definition of microplastics in drinking water;
- On or before July 1, 2021:
- Adopt a standard methodology for testing of microplastics in drinking water;
- Adopt requirements for four years of testing and reporting in drinking water, including public disclosure of results;
- Consider issuing quantitative guidelines (e.g., notification level), if appropriate;
- Accredit qualified laboratories in California to analyze for microplastics in drinking water.
Link to yesterday’s Los Angeles Times article on PFAS: ‘Our Voices are not being heard’: Colorado town a test case for California PFAS Victims.”